Sunday, November 27, 2011

Changes...

As a Detroiter I feel this song is the epitome of what we're going through in my city, it also has the solution that will help us all move forward.

The inspiration for this post came from a song called "Changes" by Tupac Shakur

"It's time for us as a people to start making changes
lets change the way we eat
lets change the way we live  
and lets change the way we treat each other 
you see the old way wasn't workin so its on us to do what we gotta do...to survive" --Tupac Shakur







Now look at it this way:
Let's change the way we eat...yes I read that article that named us the fattest city
Let's change the way we live...we have to step up and maintain our streets as much as we can
Let's change the way we treat each other...stop the violence, its not getting us ahead in any way
Lets change the way we treat each other because the old way wasn't working...We need a new approach to everything in this city, the way we've been doing things isn't getting us out of this hole we've fallen into.


I feel Tupac was my first "social problems" professor, (before I took the actual sociology class coincidentally...his song Changes was my inspiration for this post also).
I see the problems in my city firsthand, I go through it like everyone else and I know how close I've come with the negative side that exists around me and many of my friends, my inspiration to stand up for my city and fight within the city to change the problems we face today come from this song and from a lot of the hip hop music I listen to and my own experiences. (Please note that Lil Wayne is not a representation of hip hop, never was, never will be, nor are many of these other artists out there like waka flocka whatever, and gucci mane)


People aren't being realistic with themselves. The problem doesn't lie with the people just inside (and outside) of our city but the problems we as citizens are facing in our area every single day, things some of us can't see or notice. From the violence and crime, to the drugs and illiteracy. 


We as citizens need to attack this all head on, but Where do we start?!

My suggestion is to first attack illiteracy and the rest will follow...



"According to estimates by The National Institute for Literacy, roughly 47 percent of adults in Detroit, Michigan -- 200,000 total -- are "functionally illiterate," meaning they have trouble with reading, speaking, writing and computational skills.


Here's the link for more of the statistics
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/07/detroit-illiteracy-nearly-half-education_n_858307.html


All of these major problems correlate.  This city wasn't just brought down by one thing, but the culmination of a GROUP of things, illiteracy is one of them. The illiteracy leads children to grow up uneducated, or the adults to stay the same which in turn leads them either to drugs and crime because that is all that they are left with. The violence that ensues is just spilling over from the illiteracy and its effects over time.


Yes there are programs but these programs need more volunteers, those high school students and even graduates and college students, our adults and anyone else that can read and write needs to step up to the plate and share this knowledge.


Everyone spends their time with concerns on the superficial things in life. Let's spend an hour of that time giving back and imagine what we can do collectively.  


 "Too many young folk have addiction to superficial things and not enough conviction for substantial things like justice, truth, and love."Dr. Cornell West






No you don't need to volunteer at a school and teach, it would be very helpful if you did (and easier for you to find the people who need help)


What you can do is...approach a friend or someone you know who has trouble reading and writing even and help them out when you can, this person can be your neighbor, or someone you see here and there and know well enough to offer help. Find a neutral and safe area to help them if you don't know them well enough, a local library or school if possible.


Imagine the affect you can have on a person's life who finally learned to read or write? Think about the doors you've opened up for them, maybe a better job? They can help their child with homework? Who knows! 


A few weeks ago I bought this random kid pencils at CVS, he didn't have money for it and neither did his mom, it was a buck, I figured this little thing might have an impact on him one day (at least I hope it does), I told him to grow up and become a doctor (He said he wants to be a basketball player...I should have got his name for follow-up lol) 


I hope I've opened some of your eyes and even changed some points of views.






No comments:

Post a Comment